In the third and final part of my series about painting layers on silk I have turned my attention to the challenges of starting with darker backgrounds. This is a design that I have painted in more than one colourway. The black and pink version sold, but this royal blue and green has had very few clicks and I have decided that perhaps it’s the zingy green that’s the issue.
So adding a little black to some of the royal blue.Then overpainting the greens with a soft, pale brown to give some depth to the leaf design and knock back the green a bit.And, here below shows the contrast between before and after halfway through the second layer.Finally it’s all done and ready for steaming.It appears a little muddy in the pictures, but in real life the finished look is more subtle than the original, plain, strong greens and I think for that reason more effective.More photos of the finished scarf can be seen on my shop. January 2019 update now sold.