Sorting through my collection of fabric I found a piece of silk I painted years ago with a colour combination I no longer like. It was pale enough to be over-dyed so I thought I’d experiment and work boldly with just one colour.
First the whole piece is covered with red and allowed to dry. Then a pattern is painted in a clear resist, allowed to dry and another layer of darker red applied.
It is difficult to see in these photos, but there are hints of the underlying original still present (more visible in real life). I have found it liberating and easy to be bold when working over a design rather than adding colour to a pristine white background. However, I have discovered just how difficult it is to photograph a large area of saturated red. Thankfully the wonderful resource of online photography forums saved me many, many adjustments on my camera by indicating that post-processing after shooting in RAW solves issues of accurately capturing this rich colour.
5 thoughts on “Experimentation”
Oh yes, that’s lovely, sumptuous stuff. I can see that re-working a discarded piece in a completely new way must get the creative juices flowing.
It certainly does, all quite liberating.
Ah, photographing on the black background enhances the richness of the red. I love that colour – it promises intrigue 😀
Oh you’ve no idea how long I messed around trying to get a half decent shot – it’s something to do with the sensors on DSLR cameras. All far too technical for the mood I was in by the time I decided to head to the forums for help.